Vegan cheese sauce without nuts or oil. This simple vegan cheese sauce comes together very quickly and has a fairly short list of ingredients.
Photo above is vegan cheese sauce with cooked macaroni for a quick and easy vegan mac & cheese.
I know what you’re thinking- “How can a vegan cheese sauce that doesn’t have nuts or oils actually taste good… and it’s healthy??”. Well, as far as a healthy vegan cheese sauce goes- this is my go-to. It is really tasty and you don’t feel guilty when you’re helping yourself to that second serving.
The typical vegan way of using nutritional yeast to get something to taste like cheese is definitely at work here, but there are also some ingredients you might not expect. Potatoes and pumpkin give the texture and body and miso and soy give that umami cheese flavor along with the nutritional yeast. A simple recipe to be used for any recipe that calls for a cheese sauce.
Photo above is vegan cheese sauce with Quinoa, Kale, and mushroom casserole. Recipe to come in the near future.
- 2 cups cooked potatoes
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons white miso
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- kosher salt to taste
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Boil the potatoes, drain, and remove skins. Add to the blender.
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend for 1 minute or until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. If too thin- add more potatoes or oats. If too thick- add more stock or water.