- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 large or 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2- 28 ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 20 basil leaves
- Smash the garlic cloves a bit with the side of your knife or the bottom of a frying pan.
- In a medium-sized soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic or onions.
- With your hands, break up and crush the tomatoes as you add them to the pot. Add the tomato juice left in the cans, scraping the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce to low heat. Cook for an hour, stirring every so often.
- Turn off the heat, add that salt and tear up (or chiffonade) the basil leaves into the sauce.