Tomato Basil Sauce:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 large or 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2- 28 ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 20 basil leaves
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for 1 hour. Drained.
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons red miso paste
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 8-10 shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed. Sliced thin.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Tomato Basil Sauce:
- Smash the garlic cloves a bit with the side of your knife or the bottom of a frying pan.
- In a medium-sized soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic or onions.
- With your hands, break up and crush the tomatoes as you add them to the pot. Add the tomato juice left in the cans, scraping the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce to low heat. Cook for 50 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add the vodka and cook for an additional 10 minutes to cook off the alcohol.
- Turn off the heat, add that salt and tear up (or chiffonade) the basil leaves into the sauce.
- Drain the cashews and put in blender.
- Add the water, miso paste, nutritional yeast, and 1-2 cups of the tomato basil sauce
- Blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until completely smooth. Add cashew cream back to the tomato basil sauce pot and stir.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir.
- Cook for 3-6 minutes or until crispy like bacon, being careful not to burn the mushrooms.
- When the mushrooms are done add the smoked paprika and soy sauce. Cook until the soy sauce has evaporated. Turn off the heat and place mushrooms on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Cook your favorite pasta according to the package. (There is enough sauce for at least 2 pounds of pasta)
- Drain and toss with the miso vodka sauce.
- Plate the pasta and top each serving with a few shiitake bacon slices. Serve immediately.