- 2 cups sushi rice (short-grain rice)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1-2 pieces of dried kombu (Japanese kelp)
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 Tablespoon sake
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Rinse the rice in water and drain.
- In a rice cooker or pot add the rice, water (up to the 2 cup line if using a rice cooker), mirin, sake, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Stir to combine. Add the kombu on top and if using a rice cooker select the white rice function.
- If not using a rice cooker, bring the liquid to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Serve immediately.