This vegan beet and carrot Thai style curry is as delicious as it looks. Bold flavors with fresh vegetables and coconut milk. Serve over rice or rice noodles.
I eat Thai style curries for lunch the majority of the time and beets or carrots are in most of them in some form. Veg curry, falafel, and broccoli rabe are the foods I crave every single day. I just can’t get enough. I pulled up a bunch of carrots and beets from the garden and I made this beet and carrot Thai style curry for some non-vegan friends that came over the other night. They all loved it. And of course, I made a big batch so I would have leftovers for lunch the next day. 😉
I’ve made countless versions of Thai Curries and this one is near the top of the list. I adapted this from a book called- Power Vegetables by Lucky Peach. They make it a bit different and use brown butter, which I obviously don’t do, but it still packs a lot flavor. This is a dish you can change up easily with whatever you have on hand and in season.
This vegan beet and carrot Thai style curry is as delicious as it looks. Bold flavors with fresh vegetables and coconut milk. Serve over rice or rice noodle
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 16 oz. carrot or beet juice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 carrots, cut into sticks or rounds
- 2 zucchini, cut into rounds or half rounds
- 3 beets, roasted, peeled, and cut into half rounds
- cilantro, chopped
- basil, chopped, scallions, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 400° F
- Wash the whole beets and leave wet. Wrap the beets individually in aluminum foil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until a knife pierces easily through the center. Let cool and then peel the skin off and discard.
- Toss the bell peppers, carrots, and zucchini in canola oil. season with salt and pepper and roast on a tray for 30 minutes or until done.
- While veggies are roasting scoop out the separated cream in the coconut milk can and place in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and Thai curry paste and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add the beet or carrot juice and the remaining coconut milk. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the lime juice.
- Arrange the cooked vegetables on a plate and spoon over the curry sauce.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, basil, and scallions.
Serve over jasmine rice or rice noodles