Vegan stuffing with sage, apples, and portobello mushrooms. The best vegan stuffing for Thanksgiving. Pour over vegan gravy and serve with your other Thanksgiving sides.
I bet if I ran a poll here about what your favorite dish on Thanksgiving is, stuffing would win every time. In my house, I have to make extra vegan stuffing to have for leftovers and it is always the first thing to be finished.
I use fresh baguette’s for the bread and toast them in the oven. I never have enough stale bread to make the portion I need so I buy fresh and toast. You could use any kind of bread you want for this recipe. In the past, I have used cranberry walnut bread mixed with white bread and everyone loved it. What I’m saying is… don’t worry too much about what kind of bread you have. If it tastes good fresh, you’ll probably like it in the stuffing.
The chopped up portobello mushrooms replace the sausage in a traditional non-vegan stuffing, but could easily be left out if you do not like mushrooms. The apples give a touch of sweetness to the vegan stuffing and the herbs freshen everything up. I used earth balance soy butter on top of the vegan stuffing to give it a nice crispy browned texture, but you could use olive oil if you prefer. Hope you enjoy it and don’t forget those fresh herbs!
- 2 baguettes, cut into cubes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 portobello mushrooms, gills scooped out, diced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons soy butter
- If using fresh bread, preheat the oven to 250°F. If using stale bread skip to step 3.
- On a sheet pan, dry out the bread cubes in the oven for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, celery, and portobello mushrooms in the olive oil over medium heat. 4-6 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the apples and white wine. Cook for an additional minute. Add the vegetable broth and turn off the heat.
- When the bread is ready. Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except the soy butter. Mix well.
- Rub olive oil on the inside of a 9×16 baking pan. Pour the stuffing mixture into the baking pan and top with the soy butter.
- Bake stuffing uncovered for 45 mins to 1 hour.